Monday, September 17, 2007

Alive and well in KY

Hi all -- Thanks for visiting my blog. I was beginning to think I'd have to change the name to "Three days on the road," but now that I'm settled in at the convent and (more technologically significant) here at Big Sandy College, updates should be regular. There was no sign saying, "Welcome to Kentucky!" or even "Entering Kentucky," but I knew when I'd crossed into the state b/c the coal industry became immediately evident. Huge plant, semis hauling coal, trains weaving through the hills pulling dozens of cars heaped with coal, a sign for land -- For lease: Coal storage. I'd read somewhere that the coal business has decreased significantly. I guess someone forgot to tell these folks. The hills and mountains are beautiful, certainly not all about coal. Tiny 1-3 road towns and larger ones such as Prestonsburg where I volunteer. When I arrived in the area, google maps got me off track, and I ended up down one of the many narrow, rural roads. Rounding the umpteenth curve, I saw a small store set up in a clapboard bungalow and stopped to ask directions from the man and woman chatting on the porch. The young man (who appeared to have eye issues and lit up a joint as I drove off) gave me perfect directions. Began working today at Big Sandy College. The adult ed programs has many sites, one of which is in the Drug Court. The GED classes, one step in keeping addicts clean and out of jail, are free. The teacher, a woman my age, helped a young mother (21, maybe) study for her upcoming GED. Very low key instruction. The teacher is kind and encouraging and the student was very focused, demonstrating competency in vocabulary, averages, and geometry. I'll go with the teacher another day to work/observe at a drug rehab house. When the students/addicts complete the drug program, there is a graduation ceremony with staff, judges, and others in attendance to celebrate. By the way, the majority here in KY appears to be hard-working solid folks. There has to be a solid base to support programs that help those in need. Ate twice at a local place called Billy Ray's, good down home cooking. Heard the following exchange between two tables when customers recognized one another:
Customer 1 - Well, hi.
Customer 2 - Hi. How are you?
Customer 1 - I'm fine. You?
Customer 2 - We're good. We're blessed. We're so blessed.
Customer 1 - Well, that's good. We're blessed, too.
Customer 2 - That's good. Bless the Lord.
Customer 1 - Yes. God is good.
Toto, we're not in Westchester anymore. Well, don't want to go on too long. Will write about the convent and sisters tomorrow. Here, there, and everywhere, let's all remember to count our blessings.

2 comments:

Cameron said...

Great post. Good to know that will make a difference in many lives. God bless you Mom.

T said...

Being there reminds you how blessed we are!