Monday, October 8, 2007

Some KY sayings

Hi -- When T and I were leaving a grocery store during his first visit three weeks ago, the guy bagging the groceries leaned in close to me and said in somber tones, "You all be careful now, you hear?" Alarmed, I agreed that we would, but then hashed and rehashed what on earth he might have meant. Was there some particular danger looming over the valley? Was it open season on tourists? Well, nothing happened, and I put my worries aside. Then, a few days later, I heard an adult ed staff member say the same thing to a coworker. "You be careful." Turns out it's just something one says when saying goodbye, like "Drive safely." // If you asked someone to help you out and the person responded, "I don't care to," what would be your interpretation? I haven't heard this expression myself, but the sisters informed me that it doesn't mean, "I don't want to," but rather, "I don't mind." The first time Sr. Kathleen heard the expression, she was taken aback because the mountain folk are generally very courteous! //Finally, although pronouncing Appalachia with a long a after the l is correct, generally most people say Appalachia with a short a sound. To remember Sr. Jan suggests "Throw an 'apple atcha'". Interestingly, the people in the region rarely use the term to describe themselves. Rather, they identify themselves via county of residence. Counties are a big deal around here. Every KY license plate lists the driver's county, but, oddly, counties are loathe to cooperate one with another, even for mutual benefit. Well, a student is coming in for GED instruction, so I'll sign off. Be care now, if you don't care to, and try to cooperate, at least a little. ;o))

1 comment:

Cameron said...

You be careful!
Yeah, that would probably lead to a fight in NY.

Do you have any picture of your time at the apple festival in 'Apple Atcha'?