Sunday, September 9, 2007

The Appalachian region

Hi -- Thanks for visiting my blog. Can you name the states that the Appalachian region spans? I couldn't, and I wasn't clear about whether the region is defined by the geography of the mountain range or something more. I'm thinking, something more. As I discover a bit about what defines and characterizes Appalachia, I'll post it. As for the regional span, Appalachia "is a 200,000-square-mile region that follows the spine of the Appalachian Mountains from southern New York to northern Mississippi. It includes all of West Virginia and parts of 12 other states: Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia" (Appalachian Regional Commission, http://www.arc.gov/index.do?nodeId=2). The link includes a map.

2 comments:

Cameron said...

Good luck Mom!

Unknown said...

Have a great trip! I'm praying for you!!!