Wednesday, September 12, 2007

WV, think Vermont, fewer yuppies

Hi -- Thanks for visiting my blog. Longest leg of the trip. Beautiful, though. The mtns of west Maryland were particularly striking w/ ridge after ridge of pine, ash, maple, locust and who knows how many other trees. Every hue of green set against the blue of the clear, clean sky. The colors of the distant mountains faded to misty purple. The air was cool most of the day, and I drove with the windows open. A real feast for the senses. I gave a "whoo-hoo" at the W. Virginia border b/c I was certain that I was in the Appalachian region, as the entire state lies w/in the region. Sang a lusty rendition of John Denver's tribute. Can you name that tune? Had a wicked headache much of the day, but once I settled into the B & B, I forced myself to explore Charleston. Went to an independent bookstore and picked up some regional work, as well as strolled through the adjacent art gallery, walked along the Kanawha river, and ate at a restaurant recommended by the B & B owner for its organic produce and free range meat from a local farm. The most delicious chicken and bacon. Oh, and the salad w/ strawberry vinaigrette was yummy, too. Charleston runs along the Kanawha, and though they label themselves a mid-sized city, it has more of a town vibe, a struggling, but cool, town vibe with art and coffee places, and lots of cultural events. The riverwalk is two-tiered, the top at street level being the domain of yuppy-type joggers and the lower, riverfront level the territory of sketchier characters. I figured this out as I walked along the riverbank. No worries, though, perfectly nice sketchy men. I took lots of photos, but have managed to misplace the memory card. (Don't fret, Hon.) I'm disappointed, but hope to find where it lies here in my room. My room is quite nice, tall bed w/ partial canopy, lots of rose patterns, and a clawfoot tub. Dinner, aspirin, and a bath later, the headache has faded to almost nil. Tomorrow I enter KY and officially begin my six weeks. I don't know what else to say, but that I'm amazed to be on this journey and incredibly grateful. Remember, "power, love, and self-discipline." No fear. Lots of thanks.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, this update is fascinating! I can tell how excited you must be to catch every detail of God's perfect beauty in nature. Godspeed!

Mom & Dad said...

Dear Stacey:
Sounds like a fantasic trip through
beaurtiful countryside. It certainly is an unusual adventure.

We have not been in that part of KY.

How are the accommodations?

Here in HH it is very hot and humid.

Enjoy your weekend with Terence.

All our love,
Mom and Dad

Mom & Dad said...

Dear Stacey,

We went to Mass today and prayed that you will be a light to Appalachia.
Blessings from Mom & Dad

Stanley said...

Hi,

It is a good post on "Six weeks in Appalachia".

Appalachian Mountains attracts thousands of visitors from all over america and outside. Weekends in Charleston WV are guaranteed to bring amusement because one can try visiting national parks, national and state forests, state parks and historical places.